Sunday, August 1, 2010

Window Love





Man, I had some of those sliders from the Slidin' Thru truck for the second time the other day and those burgers and fries are THE BOMB! The design looks dope too! From what I hear Lance and Alex worked on it, some homies from the Art Institute. I'm sure you could find their work somewhere on the Hot Sauce Gang's blog.

Alright so let me explain what's going on here...Listening to some old Tryforz right now and getting distracted...damn some of these beats are sick! D.J. THIRTEEN! We still should make that conceptual album/animation thing with Flash or some shit...

Okay! So on the top I was experimenting with logos. I was studying simple, famous logos and writing my initials in different ways and stuff. I honestly think I could have been and could still be way more experimental with it. But I have some other things I will post later that I am still messing with.

Below that is total gouache action. Gouache is a bitchy paint. I remember I used to try to use it like it was acrylic but I realized you have to treat it very differently to get the results you want. I feel my skills with it are improving since I usually "cheat" and use some acrylic mixes with most of my "gouache" paintings. The backgrounds on that page are all watercolor. To start some of these gouache paintings, I actually removed my glasses and used my shitty vision to my tonal advantage. It helped me nail the contrast and create some dope silhouettes for the darker colors.

Then I tried to do a marker portrait of Eminem but he came out looking like some old Devo albums or that gigolo guy from that A.I. movie.

Then underneath those pages...I have a ton of silhouettes. Some of them I was just doing for fun, there are a couple reference shots in there from photos I have taken. I drew myself, Patty and Rudy. I made Patty a ninja haha!

A couple of the yellow/red silhouettes were based off of this dude's ideas. I can't remember his name but he is in the Zombie Squad with Rudy. He was a funny guy and he had a really cool story in his head with imagined characters that had back-stories and everything but he said he couldn't draw and I was sitting right there with my sketchbook and markers.

I am trying to do some new stuff with my silhouettes to make them interesting and more presentable. I have lots of good ideas. It helps to use the same color scheme for a whole page so that people don't favor one silhouette over another (based only on color) when you have them grouped up. And it is dope when you lay down light colors then bring in shadows and leave highlights. I want to mess around more with this technique in Photoshop and with markers.

Okay, I have written way too much. Nobody even reads this.

No comments:

Post a Comment