Thursday, August 26, 2010

TETRAGRAMMATON








I have done quite a bit lately...one post at a time...I attempted to do another stencil for the cover of my current sketchbook. I wanted to try to do a guitar for a long time, but I changed my mind at the last minute and froze a frame on my Fooly Cooly/FLCL dvd and started sketching Canti, the weird television-faced robot. I tried to keep in mind another stencil that didn't go so well because the lines were too thin for the paint. But I also wanted to keep it connected so it would make sense after the spray. Well, I totally over-sprayed parts of it and I guess when I tried to transfer from sharpie to the cut I still didn't get it quite right. One of my homies who has seen that show couldn't even see it! Damn! Fail.

Oh well, I did some cool gouache/water color paintings inside the cover of Ghost Dog and Brad Pitt's character from Snatch. I got a chance to show my sketchbook to an art director named John Shaw from this printing company called Apple Tree Wear. He liked the Brad Pitt one a lot but he said I should take that style/scheme and draw some original ideas/references. He actually said, "I don't know, like a cat in a hat or something." I also mentioned how I have been taking photographs so I can paint from my own reference and he said to keep moving in that direction. Then I remembered I have some photographs of a cat in a hat! So voila! I painted a couple pages of ginger in a little cowboy hat. Hopefully he likes one of those...maybe I can e-mail him this web link.

Still listening to the Amputechture album from The Mars Volta..."MIRRORS TO THE ANIMALS" - some lyrics from the song Tetragrammaton(THIS IS A LINK TO AN EPIC TRACK).

1 comment: