Monday, July 19, 2010

Rex Kwon Do!


Yo. I was re-visiting my final from Randolf's Intermediate 3D Animation class. I taught myself how to transfer animations from one rig to another by using this script called dkAnim. It took me a bit to figure out what the hell was going on, but luckily I found some good websites to help me out. So once I fixed that polygon problem, I started to think about the final render for my demo reel. I changed my settings to HD720 but then I was wondering all types of shit. Is it better to use Maya Software, Maya Hardware or Mental Ray for this type of piece? What types of lights and shadows do I use? Raytracing is usually better, but I had to figure out which variables to tweak to get the desired effect. I refreshed my brain on the 3 point lighting system and I went for it.

This is what I came up with. Some of the shadows are still pretty hard and I am wondering if I should attempt to put him into some type of environment. I know I will probably be making more animation changes and will have to render it again anyway, but it looks like you end up re-rendering lots of projects if you give a shit about it. I haven't shown my reel to enough people but I also feel like it doesn't tell them what I have learned in the past few months. Once it better represents the direction I am going in, I will have to start bothering every teacher and student I can. So give me some crits!

1 comment:

  1. I think your render actually looks pretty nice! I like to backdrop/ wall deal, don't over complicate animations with backgrounds and stuff, just keep the animation pieces focused on animation. Maya Hardware is just for vector renders pretty much, so stick to the software or mental ray (mayatomr) The lip sync looks nice too. I think you can do better on the camera point and when he points at his glasses. Move the hand a little bit away from the face or something. That head nod is just about perfect though. Seriously, this is a nice start to demo reel pieces. If you want to experiment with mental ray (you don't have to, it looks pretty nice already) Change the Mental Settings to Production quality or Production with motion blur then set it from scanline to raytracing. It will increase the total render time by a lot (this is another reason why it may be unnecessary) but for a final render it would be worth it. For the R kelly Room you are gonna have to find a nice way to incorporate it into the animation reel if you go that direction. Think MGM Penthouse or something...

    ReplyDelete