Monday, July 19, 2010

Digital Rendering Action



Yo! So I downloaded the hi-res versions of a couple of my favorite concept pieces from Diablo 3 and I tried to figure out the secret of their super awesomeness.

What I learned is that these artists seem to start with simple brush strokes, then they utilize focal point and color to the max. They zoom in and detail faces and muscles like nobody's business and then they leave the subordinate objects as bad ass silhouettes.

I was trying to eyeball the colors, just to get my practice on. So some of it is a bit off, I kept getting frustrated trying to match the dark blue and brownish colors, the fancy highlights and the mixes on the monk's clothing. I worked on the goat for about 45 minutes to an hour and the monk for about 20-30. I imagine they probably work from prior sketches, scans or silhouettes then they throw down some colors and render it up for a good 3-8 hours, if not more. These dudes are pro and I hope I can one day be good enough to join their ranks if I wanted. I am still searching for the names of the artists who did these specific pieces, let me know if you stumble on the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment